Change of Academic Program Guidelines for Students


Changes to your academic program may only be completed during designated time periods for the current term.
Academic Program changes include:
  • Changes to program/major
  • Changes to program/major delivery method (online or on campus)
  • Adding, changing, or removing a concentration.
  • Adding, changing, or removing a minor.
  • Adding, changing, removing a second major, certificate(s) or additional programs(s)
  • Changes to catalog year.
Please note:
  • A students official Program of Study is outlined in the University Catalog for the catalog year they are following, adding additional majors, minors and/or certificates may affect student’s Financial Aid disbursement.
  • It is recommended that students receiving Financial Aid do not have program changes within 10 days of the start of classes to ensure accurate disbursement of aid.


Change of Program Open and Close Dates

Open / CloseFall 2023Spring 2024Summer 2024Fall 2024
Change of Academic Program opens3/24/202311/3/20233/22/20243/22/2024
Change of Academic Program closes8/25/2023 1/12/20245/14/20248/23/2024

*Dates are determined by the academic calendar. Dates coincide with early registration and last day to add/drop for each term.

What if I miss the window to change my academic program?

  • Changes to your academic program requested outside of the above dates will be done through a Degree Works petition submitted by your advisor or program director and will be applied to the next term by the Office of the Registrar.
  • Once the request has been submitted by your academic advisor or program director, allow 7 days for processing.
  • Academic program changes will be displayed in your Degree Works audit.
  • Click here for instructions on how to view if your request was submitted through Degree Works.


How to request a change to your academic program.


New Admitted Undergraduate Students

Change of Academic Program on admissions application, before enrollment/registration.

  1. Send an email requesting the change to your academic program to
  2. Include:
    • Your name
    • Your Banner ID
    • New program/major/concentration

Change of Academic Program after registration

  1. Send an email to your advisor listed on your Degree Works audit. If no advisor is listed send an email to
  2. Include:
    • Your name
    • Your Banner ID
    • New program/major/concentration


Currently Enrolled Undergraduate Students
  1. Prior to changing your academic program, we encourage you to:
    • Consider the implications of time to degree completion and cost
    • Look at Degree Works to research programs and academic progression using the “What-if” feature.
    • Review the University Catalog.
  1. Meet with or email your advisor to request a Change of Academic Program.


Graduate Students
  1. To change your academic program or add a certificate, complete the appropriate form found at
    • Graduate Students Change of Program / Add a Certificate request submitted through the Graduate School forms will be applied to the following term if completed request is received outside of the permitted dates.
  2. Catalog year changes and changes to concentrations are processed through your department. Contact your program director if you need to add or change your concentration or wish to request a catalog change.