Yellow Ribbon Program at ECU
The Yellow Ribbon Program is a joint initiative between ECU and the Veterans Administration. Participating students receive a payment of up to $3,000 per semester (fall and spring only) to assist in offsetting the difference between the in-state charges that the GI Bill pays and out-of-state tuition/fees that the student incurs. The yellow ribbon program is only available while using your Post 9/11 GI Bill®.
Veterans Education Benefit students are considered for the Yellow Ribbon program if all of the following apply:
- Student’s legal residence is not North Carolina.
- Student is not a “covered individual” under Section 702 of the Veterans “Choice Act” of 2014, as it pertains to non-resident tuition and fees.
- Student has a Chapter 33 Post 9/11 eligibility of 100 percent.
Number of Yellow Ribbon Awards Available
ECU offers a total of 40 Yellow Ribbon program spots and available openings are awarded on a first-come/first-serve basis following student admission each term. Once a student is part of the Yellow Ribbon program, they remain there until:
- their legal residence changes to North Carolina.
- they become eligible under Section 702 of the “Choice Act”.
- they or their parent become an active-duty personnel, stationed in North Carolina.
- they break enrollment (skip a fall or spring semester and must re-apply to the University).
How To Apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program
Step 1: Complete a Yellow Ribbon Application using your ECU single-sign on.
Step 2: Complete an ECU Request for Benefits Form using your ECU single-sign on.