Uncommon Transfer Questions

Transferring to a new school can be stressful and confusing, but we are here to help!


These are some questions you may not have thought of as you began your transfer application or as you begin your time as a student at ECU.

If there is anything we haven’t answered, feel free to email transfer@ecu.edu or fill out the ninja form at the bottom of the page.

What are some differences between my previous school and ECU?

If you are transferring from a two-year institution, you may have communicated with admissions, advising, financial aid, or the registrar all through one office. However, at ECU, those areas are all separate entities. So, who handles what?


All students at ECU are assigned an Academic Advisor based on their declared or intended major.

Once you have signed up for Orientation, you should make an appointment with your advisor to discuss course registration.

For more information about academic advising, or to view the list of Advising Contacts, click on this box.

The Registrar’s Office has many functions, but it is responsible for the registration schedule, processing drops and withdrawals (you’ll contact your advisor first), enrollment verification, processing graduation, and evaluating transfer credit.

As a transfer student, you’ll first interact with the Registrar’s Office when you receive your transfer credit evaluation.

For more information about what the Office of the Registrar does, click on this box.

The Office of Student Transitions works with all ECU students to assist in transitioning to the university, as well as throughout their academic career.

They are responsible for your Orientation to ECU as well as the Quest Living Learning Community, a special program for transfer students wanting to live on campus.

For more information or to see what else the Office of Student Transitions offers, click this icon.

The Office of Student Financial Aid provides education, guidance, and support to students and their families throughout the financial aid process.

The office works with federal, state, and institutional aid programs

For more information about financial aid at ECU, click on this box.

Admissions handles the application and admissions processes.

Questions about your application, eligibility to transfer, or what to do once you’re admitted can be directed here.

For answers to frequently asked Transfer Admissions questions, click on this box.

ECU transfers all equivalent course credit, so why are some of my courses not counting toward my degree?

While a minimum of 24 hours of transferable college-level coursework is required for students to be considered for transfer status, The Office of the Registrar can bring in unlimited transfer credits.

However, there is a difference between Transfer-ability and Applicability.

Courses may transfer but not apply (or be applicable) to your major. Therefore, students should consult with an academic advisor in their chosen major to make sure they are not taking “extra courses.”

Short version: a course may transfer in as credit and not apply to your major. Seek transfer advising early and often!


I completed all of my lower level requirements, so why didn’t I get to go directly into the major I wanted?

While the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement between the North Carolina Community College System and the University of North Carolina System institutions guarantees entry to one of the 16 public universities in the state, it does not guarantee entrance to a specific major. Just like traditional students, transfer students should use the curriculum for their intended major as a guide for courses to take before transfer, particularly if they are seeking to apply to a competitive major. North Carolina Community College students should use the CAA Baccalaureate Degree Plans (BDPs).

Competitive Majors

Some of ECU’s majors have prerequisites and/or application processes in order to declare due to necessarily skills and/or limited “seats.” Plan ahead to make sure you have completed all prerequisites for your desired major or are able to put in an application when appropriate.


I completed two years at a community college, so why is my General Education not showing up as waived?

Every student at ECU is required to complete all the areas of the General Education program. Here are three reasons your General Education may not be showing up as “waived.”

  1. We do not have your official college transcript showing you completed an Associate in Arts, Associate in Arts Teacher Preparation, Associate in Science or Associate in Science Teacher Preparation from a North Carolina Community College.
    • This should be sent directly from your school to crediteval@ecu.edu.
  2. You have not completed the General Education waiver.
    • You may do so here.
  3. You earned your AA or AS degree outside of North Carolina.
    • ECU only awards a General Education waiver for degrees earned with a North Carolina Community College.


Where can I eat on campus?

If you are on campus, there are multiple options to grab a bite, regardless of whether you decide to participate in an optional Dining Account. To find out more about setting up a meal plan or your dining options, click here.

  • ECU has two full dining halls: Todd Dining Hall and West End Dining Hall.
  • There are many additional dining and convenience locations including 1907 Grill, Au Bon Pain, Burger Studio, Chick-Fil-A, Chili’s Too, Einstein’s, Galley: Brewhouse by Port City Java, Olilo, Panda Express, POD Express, Raising Canes, Stacked, Starbucks, Subway, and The Confectionery & Sweet Shop.
    • These are located in the Bate Building, Carol Belk Building, The Croatan, Jones Hall, Main Campus Student Center, Pirate Market, and Wright Place.
    • To view the specific locations, click here.
    • Also, if you’re on campus, you can use Robot Delivery to get food brought to you!


I am planning on attending fully online. How can I still feel like part of Pirate Nation?

ECU offers many virtual ways to get involved! Check out The Pirate Experience, the official campus community platform to find events to attend, groups or clubs to join, or volunteer opportunities. Even if you are attending fully online, you can still come to campus to participate in opportunities!


How do I print on campus?

Everything students possibly need to know about printing on campus can be found here, including instructions for using the PiratePrint Kiosk.

Students receive free printing up to 1500 black and white pages per year or 300 color copies or any combination (August 1st through July 31st).

Printing costs 2 cents for Black/White and 10 cents for Color copies. Each student receives $10 in the fall and spring semesters, and $5 for the summer. If you run out of free funding, you can visit pirateprint.ecu.edu to add money to your account.

Students can print from mobile devices if they’re on campus.

You may print to a PiratePrint Kiosk anytime, on or off campus! PiratePrint Kiosks are located in

  • the Allied Health Building (College of Nursing lobby)
  • Austin Lobby (by Austin 104 Computer Lab)
  • Bate 3rd Floor
  • Minges (Purple Hallway)
  • Rivers (by Rivers 139 computer lab)
  • Science & Technology Building (2nd floor)
  • Speight 241

You may also print in Joyner or Laupus Libraries, and various computer labs across campus.


How do I connect to WiFi on campus?

ECU’s primary wireless network is Eduroam. This secure world-wide roaming access service is available to all students, staff, and faculty.

You will need to onboard your device to Eduroam once. Then, you’ll have wireless access for four years on ECU’s campus (or at any other institution that participates in Eduroam).

ECU also offers an open, non-secure wireless network for guests on campus or for devices not supported by Eduroam.

You will need your Pirate ID to complete setup of any wireless devices on campus, whether through Eduroam or ecu-wifi.

For more information, click here.


Something we didn’t answer?